To Team or Not to Team

 To Team or Not to Team 

 

The AICE Media Studies portfolio is a major project that cannot be taken lightly. In the past two weeks prior to making our final decision, my class has been reading through different articles and completing different activities in order to make the decision on whether to work independently or in a group. However, my senecio is a little different. 


Currently I am an online student at Sarasota high school and take care of my elderly neighbor who is ill. For these reasons it will be much more difficult for me to work in a group than to work independently. In the past I have preferred to work in a group setting because I have a tendency of procrastination, however; I do not believe that this will badly influence my gradeI figured this out while working on a team-building activity called "Lost at Sea" I noticed that I don’t really need to be in a group because the score I got working independently and the score I got working in the group were only a few points off. I also noticed myself get very distracted while talking to the other members in my group 


In another activity called “Social Media Peer Account” I was looking at some of my classmate’s social media during the and I noticed the differences in personality we had, which is very important. When forming a group, having personalities that work well together is a very important aspect. One reason it’s so important is because “individuals [make] judgements based on personal values. (1997, Bradley) so if a groups values and personalities differ it will affect their ability to make a decision and in order for a group to be successful, they “must work together successfully” (1997, Bradley) 


Also, having trust and a strong dynamic is very important for a group to efficiently work together and with such a small amount of time to find someone I can rely on is very difficult. It is often a misconception that people will be able to work well together over night. This is because if the group “is not playing together, it’s never going to get a head.” (2015, Becker) 


I also think that working independently will suit my personality well. Even if I am a bad procrastinator, I have a very strong work ethic. My parents raised me to work hard in school in order to succeed and with all of the sacrifices they’ve made for me I always make it a point to work hard. Because of this I am not afraid that I won’t finish the assignment and put in a lot of effort to make it great. I also largely prefer being able to make my own decisions oall of the details going into this project. So, for these reasons I am working individually on this project. 


The Pros and Cons of Working Independently








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Bibliography

Storyboard

Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart