Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

 

Portfolio Project Concept Refinement 

Fall 2020 



CATEGORY 

 

DETAILS 

 

Film OR Magazine 

 

Magazine 

 

Genre 

 

Outdoor Travel 

 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

 

My target audience will be younger adults who are looking for easy, affordable, and stunning trips around the world to different nature escapes. 

 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

 

This magazine is going to give different options and ideas for young adults who want to be able to travel and see the world while also being able to afford it. Many young people, and even some older, are very limited by the expense of trips. I want to be able to offer people really great options for travel both around the world and local that aren’t unaffordable. The trips being shown will all feature the nature escapes and provide fun activities to do while in that area. It will combine many people’s want of travel with their practicality of budget. This magazine will also provide different pieces of information on environmental issues and interesting facts throughout the pages in the form of quick, little blurbs of information. 

 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

 

While researching magazines I was trying to figure out what I would genuinely enjoy creating for the next few months. Then while I was looking through National Geographic, I thought about how beautiful it was and how I would also like to see the pictures in person. However, I thought about how the expense to go there is way out of my budget. So, I thought of what most of us want, a fun spontaneous trip that won’t break the bank. I love nature and I wanted a magazine that helps others just like me to see it too. 

 

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

 

I feel that my concept is unique because it offers information on travel for many of us who can’t afford the lavish, expensive trips which many travel magazines do. It combines this with also informing people and helping the public be more aware of pressing issues going on around the world and very useful facts to have about the area being visited. 

 

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

 

I myself am very interested in travel and so are many of my peers however many magazines do not cater to these wants for people with a small budget. For this, I believe many people will want to have this magazine in order to learn more about what they can do and the big trips they can go on. It will also be very direct information, simplifying how to get these trips without having to read multiple pages. 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

-Include different places like: Hostiles, Camp grounds, Programs, cabins  

 
 

-Maybe broaden the audience to be more inclusive to older adults  

 
 

-Maybe include different price ranges for the types of trip that different people could afford 

 
 

-Local and global travel sections  

 
 

-Include activities to do there 

 


Concept Refinement 

 

        My AICE Media Studies class and I had one week to think through a pitch for the idea of our end of the year projectI decided to create a magazine that helps everyone travel to beautiful places affordably. I used the information I already knew about the cheaper side of traveling like hostels and flight discounts to help create my pitch.


       A few days before I pitched my idea, I read and reviewed articles regarding the magazine industry. This helped me decide what I was going to have to do to make my magazine practical and survive this cutthroat industry. It also helped me understand things that I may need to change or express in the future to make this magazine more noticeable to this generation. One idea is making the magazine online, the younger generation no longer want to grab and pay for a magazine but instead have it a google search away. I also realized that much of the money I need to support my magazine will come from advertisements which made me consider how I should organize my pages to make the ads more presentable and make room for them. Then I was ready to pitch. 


        After I pitched my idea, I felt very confident in my idea and that it was executed very well. I received feedback from my peers and answered some questions. They expressed that the concept is very good, but I could be able to broaden my target audience and that there are lots of adults who want to affordably travel. It made me realize that including a larger target group could be very helpful. Then they commented on the possibility of including different price ranges. I thought of how that could make it more inclusive for age groups. For this, I am now going to try and include different price ranges and options for people. The options will still be reasonably priced but now include options that are nicer than the rougher outdoor experience that appeals to the younger audiences.   


        A week after this I was assigned to read an article about the world of literature. I felt support with my magazine after reading “The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing.” This article helped build confidence with my idea for this magazine. Even though it regarded the world of literature it still comforted me because of the aspiring interest seen by the speakers in this article. It helped me understand that with help and a goal you can achieve a lot. One of the speakers gave and example of how he “received a social media notification about a young poet we discovered ten years ago--he has since won national awards, published additional collections, and become the director.” This article helps me feel more confident in my goal for this magazine and even though it discusses the intense workload, I believe in it. 

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Bibliography

Storyboard