Decision Day

 Decision Day 


 

Today is the day. For the past five weeks, ever since the beginning of school, the AICE Media Studies class has had a decision to make. We have dived into the world of creating magazines and movie title sequences for our finale end of the year project and now we must pick which one we want to do. We have read lots of articles, watched lots of movie clips, and experimented with InDesign and Premier Pro and after seeing all of the different magazine styles I have chosen to work on that. 


While going through all of the styles of magazines my interest was immediately peak. The different fonts, colors, sizing, and possibilities in general drew me in immediately. I felt as though I had lots of creative freedom and more of an opportunity to express my own style. Magazines also offer quick interesting blurbs of information and news to draw people in, most likely due to the “ readers losing patience within long magazine stories” (Michael Scherer), that I am excited to work with.  I love this because it’s a very fun way to play with words and gain others interest and activate their senses. “According to Annie Murphy Paul, when the brain processes sensory words, not only do the vocabulary areas of the brain activate, but the sensory areas of the cortex do as well”(Cherry Wayne) meaning that with only words there can be a large effect. Also, while working with Adobe InDesign I was able to gain comfort and confidence in the project. When I first opened the program, I was intimidated by all of the options but after diving into the design options I became even more excited knowing that I could make what's in my head a reality.  


Another reason why I didn’t choose to create a title sequence is because I wasn’t nearly as comfortable when working with movies. When thinking of my personal capability in that field I was uncomfortable with how title sequences are a much more abstract form of media. They are surrounded with the concept of audience reaction through different film techniques and not simply design. The art of film has to do with different angles, music, cutting shots, creating suspense and an overall emotional experience.  On top of that the “Title design in film is arguably set to become an acclaimed aspect of the film going experience” (First frames: titles in the digital realm, 2004) which I simply do not I feel I could do justice for. Also, when working in Premier Pro I couldn’t seem to understand how to work with the program.  I thought that It was an interesting platform to work on and helpful, but I was too confused with it. 


I am very excited to get started working on the magazine and be able to not only tell a story through design but also leave and effect on people. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Bibliography

Storyboard

Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart